Cayuse <=> "horses" in Spanish?

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Mon Jan 31 05:11:19 UTC 2005

>    The Interior Salishan word appears in derivatives
> meaning spotted hoofed animals -- Montana Salish
> q'ayic `elk calf (with spots)', etc.
>
>    Chinook Jargon has a word lik'ay `piebald, spotted
> fawn', which looks a lot like a version of (Interior)
> Salish q'ey with the French article glommed onto it at
> the beginning.

I knew this rang some kind of a bell.  In Gatschet's 1877 Tualatin Kalapuya
field notebooks there is a word given:  atEkayi, atkai 'colt'.  Leo J.
Frachtenberg took Gatschet's original notebooks to Yakama Res with him in 1915,
where he went over them with Louis Kenoyer, presumed last speaker of Tualatin.
Beside the foregoing two forms he wrote the re-elicited forms [a tqaii],
[tq!aii], respectively (ii = "i" with a bar over it; a- is a nominal prefix
which Frachtenberg writes as though it were a separate element, or just skips
as in the second form).  These are given as Tualatin, and there is a t- prefix
in many Kalapuyan names of flora and fauna.  So the q'a(y)i part could well be
a borrowing--in fact, most probably is since q' is unusual in Tualatin except
in borrowings.  For what it's worth!

Also for what it's worth, I have a note giving Bruce Rigsby as authority for
Sahaptin q'ayik 'elk colt', 'horse colt'.  Henry

   What's most interesting to me here is that Montana