Wikipedia, anyone?

Ros’ Haruo rosharuo at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jul 6 08:57:13 UTC 2005

Hazimemasite nado nado, Czobor Francisc-san!

Of course, in theory one could have two or even three CW Wikipedias: say, a
GRCW, an ECOCW [that's Englishist Chaotic-Orthography...], even a
Duployan-shorthand Kamloops Wawa one.

I would think though that the ideal would be a GRCW-oriented Wikipedia that
was welcoming of the efforts of those who didn't know its orthography or
grammar. In other words, one could post an article in whatever orthography
one was capable of, and then those with higher levels of fluency and/or
knowledge could improve one's postings. (After all, in Wikipedias, any
reader can edit virtually any article.) With the addition of a Wiktionary
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Main_Page>it might be possible to overcome
these problems.

Since posting that I have discovered that there is a barely begun Wikipedia
in Cheyenne <http://chy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>, in
Choctaw<http://cho.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>,
in Cree <http://cr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>, in
Muscogee<http://mus.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>,
in Navajo <http://nv.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%8Diyis%C3%AD%C3%AD_Naaltsoos>,
and in both Inuktitut <http://iu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page> and
Iñupiaq<http://ik.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page>.
(As well as several South American languages.) Actually, most of those
Wikipedias exist only in theory. My guess is that if a CW one were started,
with the details of orthography and pidgin-vs-creole to be worked out in the
living of it, it would not be long before it would be by a fair margin the
largest of the North American language Wikipedias.

Haruo

--
Meet the Whole World Halfway — Learn and Use Esperanto!
www.lernu.net <http://www.lernu.net>