garbled postings

Ros’ Haruo rosharuo at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 14 07:33:11 UTC 2005

Yeah, thanks Jeff, I'll change the oo to u, as I'm sure you're right about
that. You really should try editing the Wikipedia! It's quite easy. Find
something to change (a minor typo will do) and click on the tab at the top
of the page that says "edit this page". Then edit it as if it were an email
you were composing. Then click on "Show preview" at the bottom, and check to
see if the change looks the way you intended it to. If it does, then type a
brief description of what you did in the box where it says "Edit summary"
and click "Save page". Voilà, you're an encyclopedia editor! If you make a
significant substantive change you should justify it in the "Edit summary"
field, including source references. And before editing I would encourage you
to register; this way both you and everybody else can track your
contributions and, if something needs clarification, can ask the right
person. Although Wikipedia allows anonymous editing (which sometimes leads
to vandalism), named contributions are more polite and useful, and more
highly regarded by the community. Incidentally, if were to edit the Chinook
Jargon article right now, I would change the link that reads "Oregon State"
to read "Oregon". "Residents of Oregon State" sounds to me like college
students who live in the dorms. "Residents of Oregon" sounds much better (to
me). But I'll leave that edit for someone else, at least for a few days...

I hope you don't mind my forwarding this to the list in hopes of encouraging
other potential co-editors. (And note, editing, improving, expanding the
Chinuk Wawa Test Wikipedia (main
page<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Test-wp/wawa/>)
is just as easy as doing it to the English one!) I hope someone will
criticize the country names on the map at the bastEn
ili'i<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/BastEn_ili%27i>article, and add
some text! (Look at the text that a contributor in North
Carolina has been adding to the main page! And if he said something wrong,
jump in and edit it!) If you don't see a link to the subject you want to
write about, edit the list to add it, and then start writing!

lilEnd = haluo

--
Meet the Whole World Halfway — Learn and Use Esperanto!
www.lernu.net <http://www.lernu.net>