Strange word for "stars"

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 19 13:34:29 UTC 2005

LaXayEm khanawi Laksta,

In several Chinook Jargon dictionaries appears a strange word for “stars”,
recorded in different forms:

Anderson (1857): Klakcee

Anonymous (“Old employee, formerly of the Hudson Bay Company”): Klakee

Hutchings&Rosenfield, publ. (1860), Macdonald (1863): Klakeece

Hibben&Carswell (1862): Klukeece

Hale (1890): Klaseess

It is difficult to draw a conclusion on which form is correct. My opinion
is that it is the form quoted by Hale, because this is the most reliable
source.

Regarding the etymology, Hale indicates “C.”, that is, Chinook. The other
sources don’t have etymologies.

Is this really a Chinookan word? My only source for Chinookan, namely
Curtis’s “The North American Indian”, has for “star”:
Wishram: kíxanaba,
Chinook: iekhixánap,
Cathlamet: iekixánapx,
thus, nothing comparable to Klaseess or the like.
I also didn’t find it in other potential donor languages: Salishan, Nootkan
(incl. Makah), Sahaptin (Yakima, Klickitat, Nez Perce).

In some Coast Salishan languages, there are words for “star” somehow
similar, but they don’t begin with kl-, rather with k(h)- or k(h)w-
(Cowlitz: khási, Lummi: khwâsn, Klallam: hwásin, Nooksack: khósEn,
Cowichan: khwásin, Saanich: kwasEn), thus I’m not sure if they could be
related to “Klaseess”.

So what origin could have such a word?

Another question: was this actually used in Chinook Wawa, or is it merely a
lexicographic curiosity, carried over from one dictionary to another?

Hayu masi,
Francisc