Chinook Hawk

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jul 29 10:01:13 UTC 2005

LaXayEm / Klahawya / Klahowya / Clark how are you?

There is no word for "hawk" in the "classical" sources (like the
dictionaries of Gibbs, Shaw, Hale, Demers, Le Jeune, etc.). But there is a
word in some less reliable sources, with many versions, from which I can
not figure out which could be the "correct" one.

These forms are:

Shakirk - in Anderson (1857);

Shakir - in Anonymous "Old employee, formerly of the Hudson Bay Company";

Skakairk - in Hutchings&Rosenfield, publ. (1860), Hibben&Carswell, publ.
(1862), and Macdonald (1863);

Skaikeek - quoted by Don Boucher in a message to Chinook List dated 14 Dec.
1998, whithout indication of source.

A somehow related word appears in Tate (1889?): shak-shak "hawk"; but this
looks suspiciously close to chak-chak "bald eagle".

So far, I didn’t succeed to identify (with my poor possibilities) any
possible donor language in the area.

Was this word actually used in CW? And where came it from? And what was
the "correct" form? Again many questions

Francisc