Is "lahach" a Shuswap word?

Theresa Kishkan tkishkan at UNISERVE.COM
Thu Jun 30 16:11:11 UTC 2005

I've been away and missed the earlier part of this so forgive me if you've
already discussed Lac La Hache? I'll just include the entry from the
Akriggs' British Columbia Place Names in the event you haven't mentioned
it....

Lac La Hache, N.W. of 100 Mile House. "Axe Lake." Interviewing, in 1946, a
great-granddaughter of Peter Skene Ogden, the famous H.B.C. chief factor,
the present writers were told that after a mule with a load of hatchets fell
into the lake (possibly through the ice) it became known as Lac la Hache.
Confirmation is supplied by a 1871 entry in the diary of G.A. Sargison in
the Provincial Archives: "Derives its name from the Hudson's Bay Company
having lost a lot of axes loaded on an animal."

Cheers!

Theresa Kishkan