Jaybird again !

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Tue May 31 07:46:36 UTC 2005

In British Columbia I've seen plenty of Stellers Jays, and also Gray
Jays. I saw a Stellers flying around in South Vancouver a month ago,
cackling noisily. However I don't remember seeing a real Blue Jay in BC,
though maybe I've forgotten. The last time I saw real Blue Jays was at a
Saskatchewan bird feeder hundreds of miles east in the prairie region of
the continent. I have not seen any Scrubjays.

Blue Jay

Stellers Jay
- entirely blue, almost black
- crested
- hangs around in the forest

Gray Jay
- shades of gray
- no crest
- hangs around camps, very bold
- has lots of nick names like "Whisky Jack" or "Camp Robber"

Scrubjay

I agree that "Blue Jay," can refer to other birds. The Stellers gets
called a "Blue Jay," in BC, too. When I was a kid I often called
Stellers Jays, "Blue Jays" even though I knew that was incorrect. They
were Jays, they were Blue. Close enough...

- Leanne