Tenas Lake (the one not exactly named from Jargon)

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Nov 2 21:18:50 UTC 2005

In the Kaska Tribal Council's excellent 2-volume "Guzagi K'uge'" noun
dictionary, I noticed the explanation of the name of Tenas Lake. This lake
(which most people call Olgie Lake in English) lies at 132:30 west, 62:05
north, in the Yukon Territory.  That's north of the core Jargon usage area,
but think about what follows.

The name Tenas Lake is explained by one Native consultant as being a Kaska
person's attempt to say (in English) "the nice lake".

However, the Kaska (Athabaskan) name is similar, Du Nestlon (with several
diacritic marks), which means "lots of islands".

And I wonder if some newcomer reinterpreted the local Native name as being
Chinook Jargon?  Sometimes odd things like this happen.  Hmm?

--Dave R