Gibbs-Shaw-style version of Djoha

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 30 12:46:21 UTC 2005

Klahowya konaway kluksta !

  I have produced also a Gibbs-Shaw-style version of the Djoha story.
  In case someone is interested, it is below.

  Francisc

    DJOHA YAHKA NANITSH OKE LAPOTE  /  DJOHA IS WATCHING THE DOOR

  The original text in the Moroccan Arabic dialect with German translation was published (with the title “Dschoha bewacht die Tür”) in Gotthelf Bergsträsser’s “Einführung in die semitischen Sprachen” (Max Hueber Verlag, München, 1977, p. 173-176). The translations in English and Chinuk Wawa are made by myself.

  Ahnkutte yahka mitlite ikt tenas man yahhul Djoha.
  In old times there was a young man called Djoha.

  Pee yahka mitlite kunamoxt yahka mama, yahka nem Halima.
  And he lived with his mother, whose name was Halima.

  Pee oke Djoha yahka mama yahka mitlite ow yahhul Ali.
  And Djoha’s mother had a brother called Ali.

  Alta Ali yahka okuste yahka chahko malieh pee kluska mamook hyas muckamuck.
  Now Ali’s daughter got married and they had a wedding party.

  Djoha yahka mama yahka klatawa kopa ukuk yahka ow yahka hyas muckamuck.
  Djoha’s mother went to this wedding party of her borther.

  Yahka wawa Djoha spose chahko pee wawa yahka: “Oh nika tenas, close nanitsh oke house yahka lapote!”
  She called Djoha and told him: “Oh my son, watch the door of the house!”

  Yahka wawa yahka “Aha, mama!” Pee yahka klatawa kopa oke hyas muckamuck pee mahsh yahka spose nanitsh lapote.
  He told her “Yes, mother!” And she went to the wedding party leaving him watching the door.

  Yahka mama yahka mitlite kopa oke house kah oke hyas muckamuck.
  His mother sat down in the house of the wedding party.

  Alta Djoha chahko wake close yahka tumtum spose kopet ikt yahka mitlite kopa oke house.
  Now Djoha had a dull time sitting in the house alone.

  Yahka hyiu tumtum ikta spose yahka mamook.
  He was thinking what he should do.

  Yahka wawa: “Nika mama yahka wawa kopa mika: ‘Close nanitsh oke lapote!’;
  He spoke (to himself): “My mother told me: ‘Watch the door!’;

  Alta nika mamook klak oke lapote pee nika mamook mitlite kopa nika latet pee lolo yahka pee nika klatawa pee wawa kopa nika mama spose yahka kelapi kopa yahka house.”
  Now I’ll take out the door and put it on my head and take it with me and I’ll go and tell my mother to come back to her house.”

  Yahka klatawa oke house kah oke hyas muckamuck, pee yahka mamook mitlite oke lapote kopa wall pee koko oke lapote kopa oke house kah oke hyas muckamuck.
  He went to the wedding house, leant the door on the wall and knocked the door of the wedding house.

  Ikt klootchman chahko klaghanie kopa oke house kah oke hyas muckamuck pee yahka wawa yahka: “ikta mika tikegh, Djoha?”
  A woman came out from the wedding house and told him: “What do you want, Djoha?”

  Yahka wawa yahka “Wawa nika mama spose chahko!” Pee yahka wawa yahka “Close.”
  He told her “Call my mother!” And she told him “Good.”

  Yahka klatawa kopa house kopa oke Djoha yahka mama pee yahka wawa yahka: “Wawa kopa mika tenas!”
  She went inside to Djoha’s mother and told her: “Speak with your son!”

  Yahka chahko klaghanie kopa yahka pee yahka kriye pee yahka wawa yahka: “Oh mika cultus man, kluksta nika mamook mitlite kopa oke house, mika cultus man?”
  She went out to him shouting and told him: “Oh you bastard, who did you left in the house, you bastard?”

  Yahka wawa yahka: “Oh mama, spose ikta mika wawa solleks kopa nika? Mika wawa nika: ‘Close nanitsh oke lapote!’; wake mika wawa nika ‘Close nanitsh oke house!’
  He told her: “Oh mother, why do you scold me? You have told me: ‘Watch the door!’; you didn’t tell me ‘Watch the house!’

  Kahkwa nika mamook klak oke lapote pee lolo kopa nika latet. Nanitsh yahka kopáh, yahka mitlite kopa oke wall.”
  Thus I took out the door and brought it on my head. See it there leaning on the wall.”

  Yahka wawa yahka: “Mika nah scotty pee ikta kahta mika? Alta alki oke kapswalla tilikum kluska chahko house pee iskum nesika iktas.”
  She yold him: “Are you crazy or what’s the matter with you? Now the thiefs will enter the house and steal our things.”

  Yahka wawa yahka: “Wake nika kumtuks ikta. Mika wawa nika spose nanitsh kopet oke lapote. Nanitsh kopáh, nika lolo yahka kopa nika piko.”
  He told her: “I don’t know anything. You told me to watch only the door. See there, I brought it on my back.”

  Alta yahka mama yahka chahko kumtuks spose yahka tenas halo latet. Alta elip yahka heehee kopa yahka pee wawa:
  Now his mother realized that her son is an idiot. She begun to laugh on him and said:

  “Delate mika wawa, oh Djoha, pee kopet! Weght nika pelton spose nika potlatch elahan kopa oke pelton.”
  “This is the truth what you said, oh Djoha, and that’s all! I am also a fool since I’m abetting the fool.”

  Kopet kahkwa oke Djoha yahka eckahnam.
  The story of Djoha is ended.