wattap etymology?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Oct 4 03:10:04 UTC 2005

Ives Goddard has an article "Algonquian Linguistic Change and
Reconstruction" in the volume edited by Philip Baldi, "Linguistic Change
and Reconstruction Methodology", published in 1990 by Mouton de Gruyter.

In this article, Goddard mentions a Proto-Algonquian cognate for Yurok &
Wiyot (NW California, distant relatives of Algonquian), all forms in the
set meaning 'spruce root' apparently.

The form in PA is *watapya.  The Yurok is 7wohpeG (G=gamma), the Wiyot is
to`p.

Is this not the word we know in English as <wattap>, among other spellings,
in historical sources?  I'd thought it was a NW word, but it looks possible
that it's from back East, from some Algonquian language.

I don't have access to a specialized enough dictionary of English here at
home, so I wonder if someone else can tell about this.

--Dave R