wee-skwa-tuk "little fart" etymology?

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Oct 14 18:59:22 UTC 2005

Somebody sent me the following question, and since I couldn't provide much
of an answer I agreed to post it on the CHINOOK list.  If you can help,
feel free to post your reply to the whole list.  I'll take care of
forwarding them to this person.  Masi!  --Dave R.

[QUOTING THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE:]

"I'm from Victoria,
and my family has deep roots in BC. I remember my father sprinkling his
speech quite liberally with Chinook words and expressions when we were
young, and some of them "stuck" with me...but I've been finding
recently that I've been forgetting more than I remember. Creeping
middle age takes its toll, I guess.

Still, there's one thing that has me kind of puzzled. When I was a kid,
my father would jokingly refer to my mother as "wee-skwa-tuk". (I'm
spelling it the way I heard it.) He told us that this meant "little
fart" or something like it, but I've never been able to find anything
even remotely similar in the Chinook jargon lexicons I've found. This
has me wondering whether the expression actually even exists, or
whether it is simply too scatological in origin to make its way into
the official texts!

Just for some background, my father worked as a deckhand on towboats up
and down the coast in the late 1940s and 1950s, and I believe one of
his employers (and good friends) would have been the Warren family, who
spoke Chinook amongst themselves. Apparently when Dad first called my
mother "wee-skwa-tuk", he gave her the impression that it meant "little
flower", but this was later amended to "little fart", much to her
chagrin! (He was 6'2" tall, whereas she was about 5'4", so there was a
fair bit of kibbitzing about her height in our family.)"