Why the southern boundary of Chinuk Wawa use?

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Tue Sep 6 11:32:17 UTC 2005

Here are some thoughts... abbreviated...then getting a little rambly...

Chinuk Wawa spread in a northward direction in the post-newcomer era. I
think we can link this to geography, politics, the social relationships
of native peoples and newcomers at the time they arrived.

Geographically, Chinuk Wawa can be linked to the Columbia River system
and its tributaries. Within a decade of Lewis and Clark's visit was
being used by traders as a transportation route along its full length.
The Canadian and British traders would ascend the Columbia to the point
where it reached the Rockies at Boat Encampment, which is now underwater
in present Kinbasket Lake, in British Columbia. There the boatmen would
leave the river and cross the Rockies via Athabasca Pass, coming out
just south of Jasper, Alberta, Canada.

For the Americans in the south, there quickly arose the problem of
control of the mouth of the Columbia. Shortly after Astoria was built,
it was taken over by the British, and for a time the British Empire
dipped down to include that part. The mouth of the Columbia became part
of the northern infrastructure of the British fur trading companies and
their ever-present rivals. In Canada, the Hudson Bay Company and the
Northwest Company had already built up a network of posts and strong
ties to Cree and Dene people that made for much safer travel, along
established routes along the Churchill River or the North Saskatchewan
River. They could connect the Columbia with both of these routes via the
Athabasca Pass. On the west side of the Rockies, traders explored the
Okanagan River into the Shuswap region, eventually crossing over to
present-day Kamloops which connected them with the Fraser River system
via the Thompson River. That would become key for them when Britian
later lost control of the Columbia route, and when more southernly
passes over the Rockies became viable choices.

The question might be asked, why would they travel so far north to the
Athabasca Pass in order to cross the Rockies, especially when there were
much easier mountain passes between? First, there is the political
situation as described above, with the Columbia initially controlled by
the British. Second, the southern passes were sometimes blocked by
native people living east of the Rockies. The first known white man to
cross the Athabasca Pass, David Thompson, only decided to use the route
after his preferred route was barred by people who lived in the area
(Piegan I think I read?). Anyways, Thompson descended the Columbia and
the employees of John Jacob Astor learned of the Athabasca Pass from
him. When Astor's employees, many of whom were Canadians, departed after
the takeover the Canadians took this route back home. For years
afterward, the pass served as a fur brigade route over the rockies, most
likely to avoid the problem of encountering hostilities on the way.

Alliances were shifting, but I think I can generalize that the traders
were not always on very good terms with the Blackfeet and their allies,
who lived south of the Saskatchewan River. Pardon me as I have not got
all their self-designations -- this included the Atsina (aka Gros
Ventres of the North, Minnetarees of the North, Rapid Indians) and the
Assiniboines, and I guess sometimes the Piegans. From what Lewis and
Clark tell us, a lot of this tension arrived before Lewis and Clark did,
because of the horse and gun. The horse allowed incursions into buffalo
hunting grounds used by others, and retaliatory actions as well. It was
these conflicts that brought their companion Sacajawea into their party.
Thompson recorded the oral history of a man who described the first time
his people saw the horse, and the conflicts that brought. The hostility
to the northern traders, Daniel Williams Harmon explained, arose from
the situation that while guns were in big demand by the Blackfeet and
Atsina, the traders were reluctant to provide weapons to people who were
sometimes at war with their allies the Crees -- this hesitance was
strongly resented. The guns were apparently desired for warfare rather
than hunting, in which their own technology should not be underestimated
-- in several accounts it's noted that Assiniboine bows were so powerful
that when they shot a buffalo the arrow would be sticking out the other
side. This seemed to hold true in conflicts in the northern rockies as
well, and anyways this is what the British and Canadian traders felt was
true and that influenced their relationships.

As in the far north, the west of the Rockies was a fairly hostile
terrain. Being able to communicate and not fight with whoever lived
there was vital to survival. Food supply was the biggest problem west of
the Rockies. There was not vast plains of buffalo or herds of caribou to
allow the luxury (or laziness maybe) of not having to be on good terms
with the locals, and what game there was tended to be scarce. The
companies had developed social methods of adapting to the new terrains.
HBC company policy in the west, as elsewhere, was to work very hard to
build permanent alliances with peoples, even marrying their employees to
local women and leaving men to live with the locals for many years. NWC
tactics were similar, and often with even greater effect. So when the
British and Canadian traders moved around, they often had a big impact
on the cultures and movements of the peoples they found they could work
with. One of these was the Salish peoples, who are associated with
Chinuk Wawa.

Newcomers that are often left out are the Iroquois and Nippisings from
Kaughnawaugha (spelling is wrong) who came west as boatmen, hunters and
trappers -- I feel important because there were many and they were often
roaming around with great independence. For example, a well-known
Kamloops character called Lolo, who is thought to have been of Iroquois
descent, was known to speak "a curious mixture of French, English &
Indian" (Cheadle, 1863). Mary Balf (/*The Dictionary of Canadian
Biography, 1861 to 1870.*/ Vol. IX. Toronto, ON: University of Toronto
Press, 1976. (p. 473)) noted that Lolo first appears in Hudson Bay
Company records in 1822, after a stint with the rival North West Company
before that at Fort St. James. I can't elaborate too much but the
Iroquois angle is worth exploring. They were zooming around, up and down
passes and valleys that would not be "officially" explored for many decades.

By the time as the gold rush, two newcomer groups made use of Chinook
Jargon (their version Chinuk Wawa). My feeling is that Chinuk Wawa was
quite well developed by this time, and the newcomers were not adding
much to it, but Chinuk Wawa was still on the move for economic reasons.
One group of Jargon users was the Royal Engineers, whose job was to map,
survey, chart, grid, plot, build roads and bridges, etc. etc.. For the
engineers and sappers, speaking in Chinook Jargon enabled them to buy
horses and food, and obtain employees for packing, etc. The other group
is the gold rushers, who arguably didn't make much practical use of
their Chinook Jargon books, though they did find opportunities to
practice. By this time and into the cannery era which followed, Chinook
Wawa had become attached to work as well as trade, and followed migrant
workers wherever they went.

I suppose that Chinuk Wawa could have gone southward at this point,
which leads me to wonder, was Chinuk Wawa as mobile on the Columbia by
the gold rush era, as it was on the Fraser? Or had it become isolated in
the south?

Maybe I can throw that last question back to you Dave? (or anyone?)