Questions re Allison 1892

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Feb 23 18:29:54 UTC 2006

Mrs. S.S. Allison's 1892 article, that is: "Account of the Similkameen
Indians of British Columbia" in J Anth Inst of Great Britain and Ireland
vol. 21, pgs 305-318.

She uses some words I'm unfamiliar with, which I don't find in Google
searches:

- stitome (a sort of wild potato) (no cognate in the Okanagan or Thompson
dictionaries?)
- lebine (made from soapberry; apparently = Indian ice cream?) (no cognate
in the Thompson or Okanagan dictionaries?)
- nic-a-nic (a variant of "kinnikinnik")

I'd appreciate information on the first two.  I wonder if there's a remote
chance they're from the old Nicola Athabaskan language?  (Allison gives one
word that's definitely Nicola [though she isn't explicit about that]: <ike>
= kinnikinnik berries.)

She also uses Chinook Jargon terms:

- papoose stick (cradle board)
- kee-kee-lee fire (fire underground in the mountains according to
traditional stories; ?volcano; compare missionaries' CJ <kikuli paia>
= 'Hell')
- kee-kee-lee (pit house) (this word entered regional English with the same
sense)

Note: 'Papoose stick' is pretty certainly CJ, though Allison doesn't
comment on its origin.  'Papoose' is actually found in CJ documents from
that region, and this use of 'stick' is obviously less like English than
CJ.

--Dave R