Catholic ladder = "soul stick" for Lushootseed CW users

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Jul 28 22:31:54 UTC 2006

I read in Chief Martin J. Sampson's "Indians of Skagit County" (Mt. Vernon,
WA: Skagit County Historical Society, 1972) on page 14 about the Catholic
ladder.

This was a tool for teaching Catholic doctrine to people whose language you
don't (or barely) know.  It's called the "soul stick" by Sampson.  That
term is new to me.  I haven't been able to find it with Google.

I suggest this is a case where a Chinook Jargon word got reinterpreted in
Lushootseed Salish, then taken into local English.

My reasoning is that the term began as /saXali stik/ in Jargon.
(Literally "tall stick".)  "Tall" might have been pronounced more like
[sahali...] or [sEhali...] by some people, like the French Oblate priests
who worked in the Northern Puget Sound area.  (My /E/ = schwa.)  Maybe the
priests even lapsed into a pronunciation like [sEali], given the tendency
for the written French <h> to be silent.

That pronunciation could have led speakers of the local Lushootseed and
other Salish languages to reanalyze the first Jargon word according to the
rules of their languages.  This might result in something like /s-(h)
Eli7/.  (My s- = Salish nominalizing prefix; 7 = glottal stop.)

In fact this is the Lushootseed word for "soul"!  (See the Bates-Hess-
Hilbert dictionary.)

More interesting yet, the Oblates imported this Salish word into their
Chinook Jargon.  It would have been nearly identical in form throughout
Coast Salish.  Compare Sto:lo /sh-xw-Eli/ "spirit".

A Salish word for "soul" would've been useful, if there was no clearcut
term for that concept yet in local Jargon.  This word was used by Bishop
Durieu, who taught Jargon to Father Le Jeune, later of Kamloops Wawa fame.
Le Jeune uses the word sometimes in his own Jargon, in the form /sili/.

If the Oblates were already using this "soul" word around 1839, when they
began preaching to Lushootseed speakers and invented the Catholic ladder,
the Native people may have been hearing this word and "tall" being
pronounced more or less identically.  This may have reinforced the new
interpretation of /saXali stik/.

Funny little story, eh?

--Dave R