Kalakala suomi?

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 20 06:56:43 UTC 2006

In fact, the Finnish word for "fish" is kala (a word having cognates in all the other Finno-Ugrian languages, for instance Estonian kala, Hungarian hal), thus Kalakala would be "fish-fish" (I don't know what should this mean in Finnish, because this language, as far as I know, doesn't use reduplication for plural formation or other functions).
  Anyway, in Seattle is much more probable for "Kalakala" to be CJ rather than Finnish.

  Francisc

Ros’ Haruo <rosharuo at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
  I was sitting at the Seattle Esperanto Society booth at the Fremont Fair all weekend. Sunday morning, the next-door booth (an Albertson's sweepstakes designed to collect names for their junkmail lists) was manned by a woman ;-) who saw my "Kalakala" coffee cup and said "that's Finnish". I said, "No, it's Chinook Jargon, it's a local word from around here." She got quite excited and kept telling me that both the word "Kalakala" and the ferryboat were of Finnish origin. Apparently it's Finnish for "fish". Anybody know whether the boat is in fact named "Kalakala" in CJ or in Finnish, and whether it was built by Finns? We both agreed that, whatever the etymology, it's misaccented in English, should have initial accent in Finnish, and I think either initial or penultimate in the Wawa.

lilEnd
To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!