Where was Camp 16?

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Thu Jun 22 00:48:23 UTC 2006

By the looks of that information, Camp 16 was in the west riding of the
Yale electoral district in 1898 ("YW"). Geographically it was actually
closer to New Westminster than to Yale. The clue to this is the "16,"
which is usually "mile 16" from somewhere important, so the first thing
to do is to look at an old map. In 1898 that means it's probably 16
miles up the railway from New Westminster.

Near that area was apparently a granite mine which is catalogued as Camp
16 (49 45 54 N, 121 26 31 W). Here is some information from the Ministry
of Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources about that site: "CAMP 16,
CATHMAR [...] The Camp 16 (Cathmar) quarry is situated near the Canadian
Pacific railway line between Spuzzum and North Bend and operated up to
1912. A considerable amount of stone was quarried for use in culverts,
bridge piers and as fill along the line. It is not believed to have been
of high enough quality for use as building stone. [...] The quarry
consisted of an irregular excavation approximately 200 metres long in
the mountain side above the railway." (EMPR IND MIN FILE (Granite
Quarries (in Ministry Library)) Parks, W.A. (1917): Report on the
Building and Ornamental Stones of  Canada, Vol. V, No. 452, Department
of Mines, pp. 75-77.
http://www.em.gov.bc.ca/mining/Geolsurv/Minfile/App/Summary.aspx?minfilno=092HNW068)

Sounds like very hard work smashing up all that granite for the railway.
Might that be something that convicts do? Or would paid workers actually
do it?

If you visit the BCGNIS link below, you can click on another link to
view some really interesting names of other nearby geographical features
within 5km. The BCGNIS database says that Cathmar is not an official
name. It was a former railway point, W side of Fraser River, S of Boston
Bar, Yale Division Yale Land District. "The CPR construction camp &
station called "Cathmar" was located here circa WWI, and so-labelled on
BC map 2B, 1914." (BC place name cards, or correspondence to/from BC's
Chief Geographer or BC Geographical Names Office.
http://srmwww.gov.bc.ca/bcgn-bin/bcg10?name=51758)

I was amused that there is a "Skuzzy" Lake nearby. That was a popular
word back home. Wonder if that word relates to CJ at all. Other familiar
words too. Anyways, this area has a very rich history; whoever studies
it will be well rewarded for their effort.

Zoom in on this map, too, to get a feel for the area.
(http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/maps/archives/1stedition/economic/transportationandcommunications/page20)