Chinook Jargon chapter in Nuuchahnulth phrasebook

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Mar 16 22:47:46 UTC 2006

I just had a brief look at the beautifully produced Barkley Sound
phrasebook (did I remember that right?), a compendium of sayings in various
dialects of Nuuchahnulth that recently appeared.  It's only about $15
Canadian, glossy and in color, made by the community members.  One chapter
is about Chinook Jargon, from the perspective of local people, and names
several of the last good speakers.  The chapter says CJ died off up there
in the 1960s when the fishing industry faded, as I recall.  I'll leave off
here, and may have to stop by the UVic bookstore on the way home to buy a
copy.  Nice stuff!

--Dave