some possible French etymologies

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 27 08:33:44 UTC 2006

LaXayEm !

  there are two CW words appearing in sources where no etymology is indicated, but I suspect them as being of French origin.

  One word is: lEsitlo "squash (vegetable)" (in Holton's and Saxton's dictionaries); I suppose that it could be from French la citrouille "the squash, the pumpkin".

  The other word is: lupella, lupulla (D. Pasco) / lapulla (Hutchings&Rosenfield 1860, Macdonald 1863) / tumpelo (Palmer 1845/1906, Winthrop 1866) "back (body part)".
  Is it possible that this words comes from the Fench l'épaule "the shoulder" ?

  Laksta kEmtEks k'ilapay wawa ?

  Hayash mersi,
  Francisc