pittuck

Erik wawalist at EMERALD-FOREST.NET
Sun May 7 18:02:46 UTC 2006

Klahowya Sihks,

Well, speaking for myself  :-)    some of us do feel a bit thick when we try to think...  ;-)

Duane does say that it is for a "different" type of thinking, but doesn't explain it further than that; he does contrast it with tumtum (heart == mind).

I could conceive of it being used to differentiate between the way that "whites" think (head/brain centric) with the way that First Peoples think (heart centric).

-------------------------------------

Which brings up another question.  I have studied Duane's material quite a bit (and enjoy it a lot).  What do people think of it as a reference point?   How good is his scholarship?  I notice in particular that his spelling is generally quite different from the spellings that I usually see on this list.

-- Erik
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Francisc Czobor
  To: CHINOOK at listserv.linguistlist.org
  Sent: Friday, April 14, 2006 8:33 AM
  Subject: pittuck

  Klahawya kanawi klaksta !

  I had from some time a suspicion, but today I dare to put this question to the Chinook List.
  It is about a word used by Duane Pasco in "Moola John": the word _pittuck_ "to think".
  Looking in all the sources available for me (the on-line dictionaries listed and linked on Jeff Kopp's and Leanne Riding's sites), I found something similar only Hibben & Carswell: "Dictionary of Indian Tongues" (1862), namely _pithick_ "think".
  But the same word, _pithick_, appear with the translation "thick" in two otherwise closely related "dictionaries", namely Hutchings & Rosenfield: "Vocabulary of the Chinook Jargon" (1860), and Macdonald: "Chinook Jargon and English Equivalents" (1863). In fact these three vocabularies (I can not term them "dictionaries", since the entries are not ordered alphabetically) are virtually identical, apart of some typos. And one of these typos seems to be "think" instead of "thick", as translation for _pithick_. (In two sources it's "thick", and in one "think").
  Moreover, _pithick_ is in fact one of the many spelling varinats of the CW word _piLEL_ "thick" (other variants being: pitlêtl, pitlilh, pithlil, pitlil, pitlhil, pelte, pelhte, petlelh, petlet, piltlilth, pitlilth). In fact, _pithick_ looks as an adaptation of the CW word to the English "thick".
  Thus, my question is: is _pittuck_ "think" an real CW word, or a "new" word arisen from a typo?

  Hayash mersi,

  Francisc

  How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates. To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!