Vocabulary of Indian words / Nootka Sound

Leanne Riding riding at TIMETEMPLE.COM
Wed May 10 11:51:07 UTC 2006

Hello! Thanks for the info!
If the event took place in Aug. then perhaps the mid-winter ceremony is
not what was happening there?
"kilcoolly tyhee" reminded me of CJ's "keekwillee tyee," the underground
opposite of "saghalie tyee." That sounds earthquaky too. :)

I can contribute some history. If I fail to explain something very well,
let me know and I will try to elaborate. Pardon me if I mention stuff
already known by folks here, as it may be helpful to some readers.

The "Nootka" word lists /are/ important historically in understanding
how CJ came to exist in its present form, and why there are ties between
"Nootka" and CJ. These word lists are numerous because for years after
the sensation caused by the visitation of Captain James Cook and his
crew (1778), Nootka Sound (associated with the Nuuchahnulth) was a
primary destination for ships heading to the northwest coast (except for
Russian). One noteworthy account by Alexander Walker provides a list of
over 100 "Nootka" words ca. 1785-86 (A sampling of words from that list
which will sound familiar to CJ afficionados is below). Also noteworthy
was an international rush for a foothold in the region which took place
ca. 1788-91 (A listing of a few relevant names from that period will
probably have a familiar ring: Dixon, Meares, Colnett, Metcalf,
Kendrick, Gray, Martinez). Roundabout this time, canoes in Nootka Sound
began to be rigged with sails (Colnett claims credit for this innovation
in his account). So, while only a decade and a half passed between
Cook's visit and Robert Gray's apparent initiation of the Boston ship
trade in the Columbia River (1792), much of the coast was already by
then well visited by trade vessels of all sorts. Also worth noting is
that unless the author is hugely exaggerating, the document is very
probably early; many people of Nootka Sound had guns by ca. 1805 and
cannons would also be acquired. In other words, if it is felt that this
manuscript could be dated pre-1800, that in itself would not pose a
problem historically.

Another decade and a half later when Astoria on the Columbia River
became another rival to "Nootka" (1811, by then other harbours on the
coast were well visited), there is no reason to doubt that certain
residents of the Columbia and those of Nootka Sound were in regular
direct contact--plenty of textual evidence to support it at any rate.
And of course other communities had ties as well. What I do not know
--the descendents might know-- is how travel between such far-flung
communities was normally carried out, but native passengers did also
travel aboard the trade vessels themselves in various capacities.

What's important to know about the non-native coastal trading vessels
destined for "Nootka" is that once they arrived they did not stay put.
For all the emphasis placed on Nootka Sound, the coastal traders
(pre-1811) did not expect to one-stop-shop, and they did not set up
posts with stores (at least, none succeeded apart from the Spanish, and
Meares briefly if his claims are to be believed). They sailed around
looking for harbours, visiting as many coastal peoples as their stock of
goods and supplies and ship's condition would allow. I would say it is
very probable that something like today's familiar form of CJ took shape
at numerous points on the coast simultaneously, because of the nature of
its formation, and the mobile and stable presence of its speakers on all
sides of the trading arrangements. I've always thought that some kind of
repertoire of broadly-known words suitable for trade, etc., must have
already existed in Nootka Sound and elsewhere before Cook came by
anyway, and so far have not seen any reason to doubt it.

Another thought is that the words mentioned -- "mamook" [to do]
"kilcoolly tyhee" [underground tyee] -- sound to me consistent with what
might have been used in Nootka Sound as early as Walker's visit, whether
CJ or not. On the other hand, I'm wondering, the way missionaries made
use of the idea of "kilcoolly tyhee," does that have a bearing or not? I
don't know much about the extent to which the current familiarity with
these terms as a part of CJ has to do with Gold Rush-era dictionary
compilation across the entire region; worth thinking about. In that
light, also worth thinking about is, what does it mean when words such
as Tenas and Potlatch are to be found in Gabriele Franchère's Columbia
River word list apparently dating from 1811-1814?

Maybe a bigger question which I need explained to me at risk of starting
a conflagration :) what exactly is Chinook Jargon, anway? In the sense
of having to differentiate it from "Nootka."

Some other thoughts worth noting:

- The French character of CJ did not appear, in my opinion, until ca.
1805 (roughly the time of the  Lewis and Clark expedition) when overland
visitation by francophones began to touch the northern parts of the west
coast.
- Between 1814-1846, there was very little political hindrance which
might restrict movement in the region in question (except for Alaska),
due to the boundary dispute between Britain and the U.S.A. Not that
there was much of that before 1814-- but there certainly was after 1846.
- While "Nootka" captured the imaginations of investors, politicians and
adventurers, who hoped to generate huge profits in the East Asian market
by selling northwest coast sea otter pelts, in practice it was not easy
to do so and competition could collapse a venture. The most frequent
visitors, the most secretive, and the least noticeable were the
entrepreneurs; historians have noted that they regularly kept secrets
even from their employers. While the ships themselves might be
considered "British" or "American" (or "Swedish" or "Portuguese" for
that matter -- but thats another story) etc., the background of the
captain, crew and passengers varied widely. Things they probably would
not do: publicize the composition of their trade goods; publicize their
actual profits and losses; publicize their favorite trading spots and
convenient harbours.
- My interest is piqued as to whether the manuscript was written by a
British writer or an American (ie. after ca. 1790) because the Boston
ships became very active on the coast leading up the early 19th century.

Familiar-looking pre-1800 "Nootka" words, with a CJ word for comparison

 From Cook's 1778:
tanass, tanas [a man, "tenas"]
wook, wik [no, "wake"]
macook [to barter, "makook"]
seekemaile [iron, or metal of any sort, "chikimin"]
chauk [water, "chuck"]
pacheetl, pachatl [to give; give me, "potlatch" (in the CJ sense of "to
give")]
tseeapoox [a conic cap made of mat, worn on the head]
aptsheetl [to steal, "ipsoot" lost or gone]

In Alexander Walker's 1785-86 "Nootka" word list:
sickemaillé [iron, "chickamin"]
mowitch [a deer, "mowitch"]
klootshama [a woman, "klootchman"]
tanas [a boy, "tenas"]
seeapoox [a plain cap (eds. "hat"), "seapeault"]
akee-ék [the barbs (on a fishing spear, eds. "thing whittled with
knife"), "ikik" or fish hook]
klooksh. klookh [it is good. excellent (eds. "good", "Chinook Jargon"),
"klosh"]
as. asko. [large. grand. a great many (eds. "many fish finning here and
there"), compare "hyas"]
makook [trading (eds. "to buy"), "makook"]
apts sheetl [stealing (eds. "to hide"), "ipsoot," lost or gone]
klyeoksheetl [to drive as a stake, compare CJ "kakshitl" (probably a
different word but similar idea)]
mamook [weaving (eds. "work"), "mamook"]
poohsheetl [blowing (eds. "blow once"), "poh"]
week [not (eds. "no; not"), "wake"]

 From Howay's edition of James Colnett's journal, 1789:
"peshak," "kapsualla" [Martinez: "pisce," "capsil" (pp. 62,317)]

Notes: Walker obtained most of his words at Nootka Sound from women, as
he says on p. 88 of Fisher and Bumsted's edition. The editors state that
Walker's effort was ultimately more thorough and accurate than the
earlier 1778 list. He also took a much more limited word list from
Prince William Sound, which as can be expected does not relate well to
CJ. Two interesting exceptions from Prince William Sound, however are
"makook" and "week," and due to the limited nature of the list there may
have been other words in common.

see also
chamas (has been discussed on list before)

- Leanne