"Eulachon" among the Kwakwaka'wakw - PLUS a full accounting of variants etc.

Theresa Kishkan tkishkan at UNISERVE.COM
Tue Oct 3 01:16:02 UTC 2006

On 10/2/06, Terry Glavin <terry.glavin at gmail.com> wrote:
>  NB "gow" is a common term for grease on the north coast, and it, too, is
> said to be a "Haida word," although I seem to recall Tsimshian people
> using
> the term.

What an interesting discussion. I'm not a linguist at all but happen to have
at hand the Thirty-First Annual Report of the Bureau of American Ethnology
(1916) with its accompanying paper, Boas' Tsimshian Mythology. I looked in
the Glossary and found this:

q!ā΄wutsē, olachen oil (I hope the squiggles show up. I used my greek font
and am trying to send this message in unicode)

And for what it's worth, people I know who fish for eulachons or oolichans
or oolichens call them oo-li-kins and boy, are they delicious fried in
butter and eaten bones and all...

Theresa Kishkan