chinook racoon mythology

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 30 15:06:17 UTC 2006

Verne F. Ray: "Lower Chinook Ethnographic Notes" (University of Washington Publications in Anthropology, Vol. 7, No. 2, May 1938, pp. 29-165): pages 148-151: "Pheasant, Coon and the Acorns; Coyote turns cottonwood into salmon" - the main character is Coon (here coon = raccoon, not the offensive name for an African-American). It was available on-line as scanned pages, but the link (http://content-dev.lib.washington.edu/cgi-bin/htmldoc.exe?CISOROOT=/lctext&CISOPTR=1585) doesn't work now, at least on my computer.

  Francisc

Jordan Fink <jordan at RISEUP.NET> wrote:
  Hey there,

I've been pouring through the literature trying to find references in
Chinook mythology to racoons. Does anyone out there have a sense of the
Chinook perspective (not any other tribes) perspective on who Racoon the
character or racoon's in general are.

I'm also trying to find information on if and how the chinook made use of
the lands at the mouth of the columbia, beyond all the wapato. Say around
Astoria, Long beach penninsuala, cape dissapointment, Ft. Stevens down to
gearheart.

And, most particularlly, I'm looking for racoon references in the area at
the mouth of the Columbia.

anyone have any idea? I've been all over the main acedemic databases and
reading with a fine-tooth comb all the BOE reports.

thanks for any and all help,
JOrdan fink

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'. To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'. Hayu masi!

Low, Low, Low Rates! Check out Yahoo! Messenger's cheap  PC-to-Phone call rates.