from turnip to squirrel

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Mon Sep 18 09:06:13 UTC 2006

Hayash mersi Dave, Alan, Vincent pi Leanne pus k'ilapay wawa !
  Alta dret na-kEmtEks pus ukuk tEnEs wawa: "lenawo" ya-chaku khapa uk Kanada Pasayuks lalang.

  Now I have another question: in the same quotations made by Dave from Kinkade's "Upper Chehalis Dictionary", under the heading "Possible U. Ch. sources for words that entered CJ", appears also skwayoh = "[Western gray] squirrel".

  But the most frequent CJ word for "squirrel" is (s)kwiskwis, which, if I shoud trust in Gibbs, Hale and Shaw, is of Chinookan origin (more precisely: from Cathlamet, according to Gibbs).

  But there is also another word for squirrel in CJ: skudee (Anderson 1857) or skudzo (Hutchings&Rosenfield 1860, Hibben&Carswell 1862, Macdonald 1863).
  Is it possible that this skudee/skudzo (or what its "correct" form may be) comes from Upper Chehalis skwayoh ?

  hayash mersi wEXT,
  Francisc