Pronunciation of "eulachon"

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Sat Sep 30 16:17:00 UTC 2006

James Crippen wrote:

> I'm curious about its pronunciation elsewhere along the coast, and the
> different ways people write it.

Some 19th-century renditions--

>From the Lewis and Clark journals, March 1806:

The Natives came to the Fort & brought some dried fish, which the
Indians called All-Can.  [Joseph Whitehouse, vol. 11, p. 430]

the small fish, which they call Ulken. [Patrick Gass, 10.197]

here some Clatsops came to us in a canoe loaded with dryed anchovies,
which they call Olthen'.  [Meriwether Lewis, 7.012]

---

 From R. F. Jones ed. _Annals of Astoria_ 2 Feb. 1812 (1999) 70:

The Natives..have departed for the upper part of the River to catch
Uthelchans which entered the River a few days ago.

---

 From the OED's entry EULACHON:

1866 J. K. LORD Naturalist in Vancouver Isl. I. 88 A fish..called by the
natives Eulachon or Candle-fish.

1885 SIMMONDS Animal Food Resources ix. 318 The ulikon or oulachan
(Thaleichthys pacificus, Gerard)..has long been an ichthyological curiosity.

The OED also has some forms of the oolakan type which I'll send if I can
get hold of them.

---

Alan