(a) Emmett, where are you? (b) ChInUk Wawa map of the NW

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Thu Apr 5 05:12:17 UTC 2007

I think I probably wrote the sentence below, but it's twisted in with
things Terry Glavin and Mike Cleven wrote.  Maybe one of them said this:

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 10:15:47 -0800
>>Mount Skook Jim - headwaters of the Stein Valley; I think this is an OCR
>>mistake on my map, and should be Skookum Jim, who was one of the
>>co-discoverers of the Klondike Goldfield in 1897.

Anyway, I happened on "Mt. Skook Jim" in my BC road atlas today, again.  I
googled.  I found Mike C's words:

"In names for individuals skookum is sometimes shortened to skook, as in
Mount Skook Jim in the Lillooet Ranges, or Mount Skook Davidson west of
Lake Williston."  His Wikipedia page on CJ place names also gives the
examples of Skook Creek in Lewis County, Washington, and possibly Skooks
Landing in northern BC.

This is useful information!  I knew one or two Jargon words got shortened
when used in English, according to typical rules of nicknaming.
There's "klooch" for "kloochman", for instance.  But I didn't know
of "skook".

There's also a microtoponym (?!) "The Skook": 'The "Skook" is a wave on
the Skookumchuck Narrows Tidal Rapids in British Columbia.'
(http://crakins.com/blogs/kayaking/default.aspx)

...and a person named "Skook L." in Homer, Alaska (http://www.naigso-
aa.org/directories_AAloners.html)

...and a guy named "Skook Pong"--in Washington State?--
(http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126808&page=26)

...and a pioneer named Albert Andrew "Skook" Lloyd, 1865-1902, Walla Walla
county, Washington
(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gmlloyd/d41.htm#P164)...son of
Lois Hammond JASPER, 10 Dec 1841 in Lexington, Fayette, KY-on 25 Sep 1930
in Waitsburg, Walla Walla, WA; married to Albert Gallatin LLOYD on 20 May
1858 in Corvallis, Benton, OR.
(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~gmlloyd/d35.htm)

...and a person (or dog?) hiking near North Bend, WA (Mt. Si) in 2005
named Skook (http://www.summitpost.org/object_discussion.php?
type=message_board&object_id=152613)

...and someone going by Skookum or Skook Heaps from Spokane Valley, WA
(http://www.orrc.net/odr/odr_sept06.pdf)

..and a boat named Skook out of Petersburg in SE Alaska
(http://www.cfec.state.ak.us/VESLIST/YR1997/ADFG/A0060.htm)

...and a book by JP Miller "The Skook"
(http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/books/103596.shtml)

...and there seems to be a slang or dialect word SKOOK in the
Appalachians...

Well, that's enough for an evening.  Cheers,

--Dave R