Interesting story

Duane Pasco dpasco at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Aug 16 05:06:18 UTC 2007

Tom......
	Thanks for sharing that very cool bit of history. I can add it to my
vast, but not vast enough, archive of Chinook related info.
	That story just goes once again to show how important and ubiquitous
The jargon was in those early days.
	There was a man from the Canton [Kwangtung now] of China who
immigrated to Canada in the late 1800s, settling in the Hazelton area
of British Columbia. He had worked in the mines up in that area. He
was apparently a very industrious and imaginative guy with business
skills and an astounding ability with language.
	His name was Lee Chong. He began trading with the local Gitk'san and
Carrier Indians many of whom were trappers. There was a Hudson Bay
post in town, which included a dock where the company stern wheeler
could tie up after bringing freight and passengers to the frontier.
	Mr. Chong gave the "Bay" some very serious competition, for he was
known far and wide as a very fair man and he was comfortable speaking
to the Indians in either Carrier, Gitk'san, English, or Chinook Jargon.
	I lived in Hazelton and Taught Northwest Coast Indian Art fort a
year and a little more.
It seemed as though everyone in the area was capable of sing the son
entitled "Lee Chong" composed in the early 20th. century by the
father of one of my students.
	I would liked to have known Lee Chong and talked Chinook with him.
Unfortunately, he died some time before my arrival there.
Duane Pasco