Jargon term for the Pacific Northwest

James Crippen jcrippen at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 29 19:04:21 UTC 2007

On 5/21/07, J. Barnes <saghalie.illahee at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm curiuous if the Jargon has a word meant to identify the Pacific
> Northwest.  More specifically I'm wondering if the language developed a term
> for the PacNW vis-a-vis the rainy climate.  Perhaps this is a querky
> question but I notice that we develop slang terms for places based on
> attributes or popular perception.

Tlingit has a word for the NW that isn't in Alaska. It's simply
"ixkée" or "Down Douth" in local English, in terms such as "ixkéedei"
or "towards Down South". It seems to mean anything from Prince Rupert
down to Seattle in stories about the Territory days. I don't think
that it was much used by non-Tlingits, however.

James