Shuswap shorthand on birchbark

Dave Robertson ddr11 at UVIC.CA
Fri Jan 11 06:47:52 UTC 2008

This is an interesting eyewitness account by H.I. Smith, who visited the
Kamloops area and even took photos of Jargon shorthand grave markers.  The
letters he refers to below must have been in shorthand too.  Other pages
of the article discuss the origin, introduction, and proud use of the
shorthand by First Nations of the area.

Some of you will be interested in his notes elsewhere in this photo-
illustrated article about the trip by Le Jeune, Chief Louis, and
Chief "Tciilxitca" to Europe in 1904.  --  Dave

"On the night of Queen Victoria's
jubilee day, the Indians near Kam-
loops built a great fire on the peak
of the mountain which stands guard
over their reservation. It was a great
surprise to us when we looked up and
saw fire and smoke rising from the
peak in the night, the mountain appearing
like a great volcano; but it
was only the result of days of labor
on the part of these dusky but loyal
subjects of the Queen. At that time
they wrote several letters to Her Majesty
on sheets of birchbark, using the
Shuswap language, which they recorded
in phonetic symbols. These
letters were sent to the Queen by
Father Le Jeune, and must have
proved of interest to the sovereign of the lowly authors."

Harlan I. Smith.  1909. "An American Oberammergau: The passion-play by
American Indians". Putnam's & The Reader.  Pp. 294-303. (Quotation is from
page 302)