mystery "French" in Wawa

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Mon Jun 9 22:04:41 UTC 2008

I was wondering whether anyone out on the list has a clue about the
following three words, all collected as Wawa by John P. Harrington on
the lower Columbia and Oregon Coast in 1942 (these are from the
Harrington Papers, mf rolls 17 and 18):

lident 'dandelion' (given by Louis Fuller, who also spoke Salmon R Tillamook).

labins 'beans' (also Louis Fuller).

lapeyl 'can (for cooking in)' (Joe Peter, a Cowlitz living at Yakima Res).

All three words appear to have French articles, but I don't find
anything like them in my French dictionary.  Are they Canadianisms?
Local coinings?  (Since so many nouns for introduced items are from
French, there may be a tendency to adopt the French article as a sort
of noun-classifier for such words).  Henry