Snus

Francisc Czobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jul 11 14:07:52 UTC 2009

Dear Carol,

As far as I know, the CJ word for orca whale (aka killer whale) is kakowan (from Nootka kakawun); in Puget Sound CJ the orca is called also kwanis (otherwise a generic term for whale, of Salishan origin).

Francisc

--- On Mon, 7/6/09, Carol Banks <csb97448 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

From: Carol Banks <csb97448 at GMAIL.COM>
Subject: Re: Snus
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Date: Monday, July 6, 2009, 1:29 AM

Does anyone have a good CJ word for an Orca Whale, and also for an Orca Pod. I'm trying to translate a children's book.
Hayu masi.
Carol

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Dave Robertson <ddr11 at uvic.ca> wrote:

One of the words for "tobacco" that we've discussed here in the past 11 (!!)
years is "snoose".  So I was amused in an I-just-received-a-secret-message
way, when I saw advertisements at the 7-11 store for Camel's latest product
"Snus".  Smokeless, spitless tobacco.

No relation to the CJ word k'aynuL.  :)

--Dave

To respond to the CHINOOK list, click 'REPLY ALL'.  To respond privately to the sender of a message, click 'REPLY'.  Hayu masi!