Corpora: Info on the Kak virus

ramesh at clg.bham.ac.uk ramesh at clg.bham.ac.uk
Sat Apr 1 14:29:09 UTC 2000

I've just rediscovered the email which gave the slution for
this virus:
Good news: It only affects you if you use MS Outlook Express 5.0, and a
patch is available from MS at:

http://www.microsoft.com/Security/Bulletins/ms99-032.asp

I installed the patch quite easily on my machine at home,
but of course it's impossible to tell whether it's had any effect.
However, my understanding is that the patch closes a known
loophole, which will prevent any future viruses that try to
use the same route, so it's probably worth doing.
Ramesh

Ramesh Krishnamurthy
Honorary Research Fellow, Birmingham and Wolverhampton