Corpora: language engineering

Khurshid Ahmad k.ahmad at eim.surrey.ac.uk
Fri Feb 18 09:48:03 UTC 2000

Dear Patrick
This is an interesting defintion of 'language engineering'.  The New OED
suggests that speech synthesis/speech recognition [systems] use
machine-readable dictionaries and sentence parsers.  Is there any evidence of
that in any of the research/industrial applications or products?  Langauge
engineering working at its best, I think,  in machine-assisted translation,
document routing systems, in the adaptation of dictionaries (admittedly not
OED) to work alongside word processing systems, and in the various easy to use
dictation machines.  Also,  I thought much of the speech recognition is based
on statistical langauge analysis.  Most of the parsers, I used to think, are
used in the generation of research proposals for writing an ever bigger
parser. Perhaps things have changed in the last few years.

Best wishes
 In message <200002161745.RAA06996 at lion.oup.co.uk>you write:

--
Khurshid Ahmad
Professor of Artificial Intelligence & Head