Corpora: on-line syllable dictionaries

Bill Fisher william.fisher at nist.gov
Fri Feb 25 13:56:50 UTC 2000

konstantina stamou wrote:

> Dear All, I am trying to find a syllable dictionary on the web but my
> efforts have been fruitless so far. Do you happen to know if such a
> thing exists, first of all, and if it does could you possibly help me
> to locate it?I would like to thank you in advance. RegardsConstantina

  In English at least, the set of syllables is practically the same as
the
set of monosyllabic words,  ignoring accidental gaps, so you could get
one of the regular pronunciation dictionaries, such as CMU's,
(http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/pronounce) and filter
out all polysyllabic items.

 - Bill F.