Corpora: reliability of web interface to the BNC

Lou Burnard lou.burnard at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tue Jan 4 12:21:09 UTC 2000

If you try this again, you will find that there are in fact 82
references to "nutshell" in the full BNC.

There was a temporary fault (now fixed) on the BNC Online server which
caused all queries submitted via the web interface to fail. It looked
like the millenium bug for a while -- but it was just common-or-garden
stupidity. Apologies to you and anyone else who has been trying to use
the BNC Online service already this century -- please try again and
all should be well.

Happy new year to all corporeal readers!

Lou

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, John Milton wrote:

|I should probably be sening ths to the BNC list -- apologies... The web
|interface to the BNC appears not very reliable. For example, I look up
|'nutshell' in the 1,000,000-word BNC sampler and find three references,
|but when I look for it using the interface to the 100,000,000-word
|collection at http://info.ox.ac.uk/bnc/search.html, I get "No matches
|found."

|-- John Milton