Corpora: What is a corpus

David Powers David.Powers at flinders.edu.au
Fri Jan 28 02:22:55 UTC 2000

I tend to agree at one level, but a corpus of proverbs is a possibility =
- e.g. the Bible
contains one, the dictionaries and collections of proverbs are corpora - =
not so different
from the corpus of Shakespeare or a corpus of religious or legal =
writings or telephone
conversations or parent-child speech, although the bibilical proverbs
usually take a more extended form than our English ones (some of which =
come
from the Bible anyway).

But once you go below sentence level, you are bringing in the kind of =
assumptions we aim to avoid in corpus work.  Even selection at 'sentence =
level' is problematic due to process of context and elision, stylistic =
freedom in relation to punctuation and representation of clauses as =
lists or separate sentences, etc. e.g.

What time is it?  Three thirty!
I came, I saw, I conquered!
I came!  I saw!  I conquered!

Another tendency is for statistics about parsers to be based on =
sentences restricted to be
less than X words where X is typically around 20 and usually less than =
median length
for the corpus it is extracted from.  Such practices should be =
deprecated except when filtering is integral to a theory (e.g. of =
language acquisition - attending to only certain types of utterance - =
but this doesn't alter the corpus).

dP