Corpora: grammar of English letter-sequences

Michael Rundell michael.rundell at dial.pipex.com
Thu May 4 09:43:09 UTC 2000

Not sure if this helps, but I remember Paul Meara devised some
vocabulary-size tests for assessing ESL students. Students had to say which
words they recognized: some of these were not "real" English words -  but
they had to look as if they might be. so to achieve this effect, Paul must
have had some data on what were and were not plausible letter-sequences.

I'm afraid i don't have an up to date contact address for PM though

best - Michael Rundell