Corpora: grammar of English letter combinations

Geoffrey Sampson geoffs at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Mon May 8 11:01:13 UTC 2000

This posting is primarily for entertainment, but may have some intellectual
purpose also.

In the first place, many thanks to all who responded to my query about a
grammar of English letter-sequences which would generate "possible words" of
English.  From the replies it sounded as though nothing exactly like this
is out there, though (as I thought) several linguists have done similar
things with phoneme sequences.  The solidest-looking reference here was
from Graeme Hirst, Toronto, to pp. 220-32 of B.L. Whorf, _Language, Thought,
and Reality_, a passage I think I remember vaguely though I have not checked
it now (I needed written letter-sequences rather than phoneme sequences).

Since exactly what I want didn't seem to be available, I tried a DIY solution;
I wrote a prog which counted 3-gram frequencies in the words of an
electronic dictionary including inflected forms, and omitting any entry not
composed entirely of lower-case alphabetic letters, but with the twist
that 48 common consonant pairs and vowel pairs (e.g. "tt", "ie") were
treated as if they were single letters; and then the prog uses the 3-gram
frequencies to construct words probabilistically starting from word-boundary
and ending when it hits another word-boundary.  It works like a dream.
Appended for readers' delectation is a short excerpt from its output.
Some of the forms are real words, of course; others are BETTER than real
words!

Prof. Geoffrey Sampson

School of Cognitive & Computing Sciences
University of Sussex
Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QH, GB

e-mail geoffs at cogs.susx.ac.uk
tel. +44 1273 678525