Corpora: Plea for conversation transcription & sound files

Christopher Cieri ccieri at ldc.upenn.edu
Wed May 10 20:49:33 UTC 2000

Amanda,

For more on the availability of LDC's Switchboard corpus, see:
    http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Catalog/LDC93S7.html
Dave Graff and Steven Bird will be presenting a paper on the multiple
annotation of Switchboard at LREC200. You can also see a copy of the
paper at:
    http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/Papers/LREC2000/multiuse.pdf
Switchboard/DAMSL is described at:
    http://stripe.colorado.edu/~jurafsky/manual.august1.html

For conversational English (American not British, sorry), you might also
have a look at the CallHome American English corpus
    http://morph.ldc.upenn.edu/Catalog/LDC97T14.html
and the Santa Barbara Corpus of Spoken American English
    http://morph.ldc.upenn.edu/Catalog/LDC2000S85.html

Happy Hunting.
Chris

Amanda Schiffrin wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I would be very grateful if you could provide information
> about any of the following:
>
> (1) The availability of corpora of *general* conversation,
>     of 2-3 adult, native speakers of (preferably British)
>     English.  I require both the orthographic transcription
>     and the original sound files.  (Telephone conversations
>     may well prove ideal for my purposes.)
>
> (2) Any annotated versions of these transcriptions if marked
>     up at one or more of the following levels:
>
>     · Speech acts
>     · Topic shifts
>     · Intention
>     · Higher level goals/plans
>
> (3) Other researchers working in similar or related areas
>     of interest.
>
> I am already aware of the following resources (although I'm
> not too sure about distribution and availability):
>
>  · LDC's Switchboard/DAMSL
>  · London-Lund Corpus
>  · Some extracts of the BNC
>  · COLT (although not strictly adult conversation and
>    part of the BNC above)
>
> (Other corpora and annotation schemes such as MapTask, Coconut,
> Verbmobil and the like are too task-oriented for my needs.)
>
> Thank you very much in advance for your help.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Mandy

>  Amanda Schiffrin           |
>  AI Laboratory,             | Tel: +44 (0)113 233 6818
>  School of Computer Studies | Fax: +44 (0)113 233 5468
>  The University of Leeds    | www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/mandy
>  LEEDS, LS2 9JT, UK         |

Christopher Cieri
Executive Director, Linguistic Data Consortium
3615 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2608 USA
phone: 215-573-5489, fax: 215-573-2175
mailto:Christopher.Cieri at ldc.upenn.edu
http://www.ldc.upenn.edu