Corpora: Re: multiple-category classification of text

Seth Russell seth at robustai.net
Thu May 11 22:35:18 UTC 2000

yannick at planetarymotion.net wrote:

> I'm looking for references on multiple-category classification of
> text.  I'm interested in classifying short texts in one or several
> categories, for example "you are great" would be classified as
> "compliment", "you should do X" would be classified as "suggestion",
> and "you are great but you should do X" would be classified as
> both. I'm currently using Bayes classification, which works fine for
> one category, but not for more.

I wasn't aware that Bayes classification worked only for one category
- perhaps you can clarify.   Are you looking to automatically calssify
the texts or manually do it?   Your question is very interesting to me
as I am thinking of similar things.  I've sent your question to the
corpora mailing list, perhaps someone there can point us in the right
direction.

Seth Russell
http://robustai.net/ai/word_of_emouth.htm