Corpora: Chomsky/Harris

L W M Bod rens at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Apr 2 12:31:53 UTC 2001

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Michael Barlow wrote:

> 4. Probabilistic approaches. Rens Bod led a well-attended "workshop" on
> Probability Theory in Linguistics at the last LSA meeting in Washington
> DC. It will be interesting to see exactly how stochastic models are
> incorporated into generative and corpus-based approaches to grammar over
> the rest of the decade. I have not yet read Rens' book "Beyond Grammar"
> and so I won't say anymore on this topic.

For those who are interested in the slides/handouts of the talks of the
workshop "Probability Theory in Linguistics", they are now online:
either from a link via http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/rens/ or
directly at http://turing.wins.uva.nl/~rens/lsa.html

The talks are perhaps helpful for the current discussion, and include
probabilistic/corpus-based approaches to acquisition (Michael Brent),
to phonology (Janet Pierrehumbert), to morphology (Harald Baayen), to
syntax (Chris Manning) and an introductory tutorial (Rens Bod).

--Rens