Corpora: Chomsky/Harris - one more fun question.

Philip Resnik resnik at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Apr 4 22:36:56 UTC 2001

I'd just like to take this opportunity to recommend a highly relevant
and really excellent paper that addresses the relation between
statistical methods and generative linguistics, namely

  Steven Abney (1996). Statistical Methods and Linguistics. In: Judith
  Klavans and Philip Resnik (eds.), The Balancing Act: Combining
  Symbolic and Statistical Approaches to Language. The MIT Press,
  Cambridge, MA.

In my opinion the paper really should be read by *anybody* who is
interested in language, and it should certainly be forwarded to any
linguists who question the relevance of statistical methods.

Steve's abstract of this paper follows.   Note that his use of
the term 'apology' is as a synonym for 'apologia', viz. "a formal
written defense of something you believe in strongly."

  This is an `apology' for statistical methods, written for a linguistic
  audience. The contents: 1. Language acquisition, language variation,
  and language change; 2. Adult monolingual speakers;
  2.1. Grammaticality and ambiguity; 2.2. Is this linguistics? 3. How
  statistics helps; 4. Objections; 4.1. Stochastic models are for
  engineers? 4.2. Chomsky v. Shannon; 5. Conclusion.

Cheers,

  Philip

P.S. Just so you don't think I'm trying to get y'all to buy the book,
here are some links to Steve's paper on the Web:

  http://www.sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de/~abney/Abney_95c.ps.gz
  http://crl.nmsu.edu/~raz/Ling5801/papers/stat/Abney_95.ps
  http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/school/study/msc/course/dil/papers/abney.ps.gz

P.P.S.  On the other hand, it really is a very good book and everyone
should own a copy.  Isn't Christmas coming up sometime soon? :-)