Corpora: Corp[us|ora]

Steven Krauwer steven.krauwer at let.uu.nl
Thu Apr 5 08:36:15 UTC 2001

harold.somers at umist.ac.uk wrote:

> A number of respondents have commented on alternative plurals,
> but actually my posting was in response to two or three postings
> just that day using "corpora" as the singular, as in "I am looking for
> a corpora of child language". This is something my students do all
> the time, and I was sorry to see it spread to this mailoing list,
> where I thought people would know better. Whatever you think the
> plural  is, you surely agree that "corpus" is the singular (and
> "corpora" isn't).

The one I like most and that hasn't been mentioned yet is 'corpi':
AltaVista gave me 382 hits (on +corpi +text, English only, in order
to avoid Italian texts).

Just try to use it in a discussion and look what happens!

-- Steven
Steven Krauwer, ELSNET / UiL OTS, Trans 10, 3512 JK Utrecht, Nederland
phone: +31 30 2536050, fax: +31 30 2536000, email: s.krauwer at let.uu.nl
      http://www-sk.let.uu.nl        http://www.elsnet.org