Corpora: joint project

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 28 21:11:15 UTC 2001

Dear colleagues, I am sending you all this information in case you
could publish it in your electronic newsletter. I do hope we might establish
a joint project. I'd like to tell you about our group of Phonostatistics
and Typological Studies. It would be very kind of You to let
me know about Your activities in the field of phonostatistics and
typology. I planned to attend the conferences in the West to renew my
contacts. Actually, I failed to find a bursary for my trip to the West.
This is why your e-mail infromation is of great interest.
If You happen to inform us about some international conferences on
phonostatistics, we'd be most grateful. Please,be so kind as to let us
know. Our group of phonological studies of Siberian, Paleo-Asiatic,
Uralo-Altaic, Far East, Oceanian languages and Japanese is looking
forward to establishing close contacts with all the world
colleagues in these fields of phonostatistics.Many articles on Siberian,
Finno-Ugric, Turkic, Mongolian, Tungus-Manchurian and Paleo-Asiatic
languages were published. Now our small group is working on the texts
of the 46 languages of the world. Our main aim is to feed in the computer
the following languages:1. Japanese; 2.Nivh; 3.Ket; (Finno-Ugric):
4.Mansi(Vogul):Sygva, Sosva, and Konda dialects; 5.Hanty(Osjak): Kazym and Eastern
dialects; 6. Hungarian; 7.Komi-Zyrian; 8.Udmurt (Votiak); 9. Mari (Che-
remis): Mountain and Lawn dialects; 10 Mordovian: Erzia and Moksha;
11 Vepsian; 12. Vodian; 13. Karelian: Tihvin, Livvikov and Ljudikov;
14. Saami (Lopari); 15. Finnish; (Samoyedic):16. Nganasan; (Turkic):
17. Azeri (Azerbaidjanian); 18. Tatar: Sibirian-Baraba and Kazan;
19. Altai (Kizhi);20. Kumandin(Altai); 21.Turkish; 22. Turkmen;
23. Jakut(Saha); 24.Karakalpak; 25.Kazah; 26. Kirgiz; 27. Tofalar;
28.Shorian; 29. Dolganian; 30.Hakas; 31.Ujgur; 32.Uzbek; (Tungus-
Manchurian): 33.Nanai; 34. Negidal; 35. Evenk (Tungus); 36.Even;
37. Uljch; 38. Orok; 39. Oroch; 40. Nivh; (Mongolian): 41. Mongolian;
42.Buriatian; 43. Kalmykian; (Slavonic): 44.Russian; 45. Ukrainian;
46. Belorussian; 47. Sorbian; 48. Serbo-Croatian; (Iranian):
49. Gilian; 50. Persian (Iranian); 51. Tadjikian; 52. Pushto;
(Paleo-Asiatic): 53. Iteljmen (Kamchadal); 54. Chuckchian; 55. Jukagir;
56. Eskimo:Siberian and American; 57. Arabic; 58. Mangarayi (Aboriginal
Australian). Our main goal is to calculate the phonological distances
on the basis of the frequency of occurrence of phonemes and phonemic
groups. Then we plan to publish the word frequency dictionaries of the
languages mentioned above. As a matter of fact,many of these languages
are on punch-cards, but we have to transfer them on PC diskettes.Many
of the texts (e.g. Japanese,Persian,Arabic, etc.) are fed in the form
of phonological transcription. We could exchange some of the material
in the electronic form. We'd be also happy to work together on
some joint project with linguists all over the world.
Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk, Russia. E-mail address:
  yutamb at hotmail.com