Corpora: Apostrophes

marc fryd mfryd2002 at yahoo.fr
Wed Dec 19 13:05:28 UTC 2001

Interesting topic this. Has anyone noticed the
apostrophe's vanishing act in such sign postings as
"Gents" or "Ladies" (for Lavatories) in department
stores. My memory could be failing me, but I am pretty
confident that this is a fairly recent evolution. On
the other hand, I was taken aback a few years ago at
the sight of a shop front which had been uncovered for
rehabilitation of the whole building and which bore a
definitely early twentieth century hand painting
saying: "Hairdressers", without the flaming apostrophe
either before or after the letter "s". I would
therefore agree with the various contributors to this
thread that this elusive diacritic does indeed deserve
more attention. My guess is that a historical survey
of "-es" vs "-'s" or "-ed" vs "-'d" in non literary
documents (letters, notary acts, etc.) would probably
help shed some light on the subject.
Yours,
Marc Fryd
Université de Poitiers