Corpora: training Brill's tagger with French

Jean Veronis Jean.Veronis at newsup.univ-mrs.fr
Wed Mar 14 08:59:52 UTC 2001

At 09:47 13/03/2001 +0100, Andre Linden wrote:
>Dear members,
>
>       We are currently working with Brill's tagger on French texts. We
>are facing the problem of training the tagger with accented texts and
>would like to know if anyone already has encountered this problem. We
>would very much appreciate any feedback on your own experience in this
>regard.

An adaptation to French has already been made and can be downloaded:

http://jupiter.inalf.cnrs.fr/WinBrill/winbrill.bienvenue.html

There is another tagger that more and more teams use in France, since it
performes well (probably the best tagger at the moment), and does not
require any training, hacking, etc. It is commercially distributed, but
very cheap for research (I think less then USD 100). It is called Cordial
Analyseur, and is developped by Synapse Development.

Contact:

http://www.synapse-fr.com/
Mr. Dominique LAURENT <dlaurent at synapse-fr.com>

Jean Véronis