Corpora: RE: concordances in EFL setting

Linda Bawcom lbawcom at eresmas.net
Thu Nov 1 22:53:36 UTC 2001

Dear Patrick,

I began using concordances in my classroom at the upper-intermediate level-Advanced about 2 years ago (not that they can't be used at lower levels). Through trial and error I found that using concordances (sometimes edited, sometimes not) with a worksheet, worked best. Believe me, at least with my Spanish students, they still have to work hard together, negotiating meaning, coming up with rules and so on.

At the beginning, I just handed out a list from the COBUILD on-line concordances (before getting the BNC sampler) and said basically, "see what you can find"-I'm afraid I didn't realize that what seemed so obvious to me, was far from obvious to them. Although, admittedly, I started out with some pretty tough words like glimpse/glance and grab/snatch (you know, the kind material writers seem to love to put in a box along with 10 other words with no collocations/co-occurrences and very broad categories).

Thankfully, at the TALC conference in Graz, I was able to obtain Chris Tribble and Gly Jones's Concordances in the Classroom (Houston:Athelstan) and I've been using their material and suggestions ever since (albeit mainly with key words and grammar although there are excellent suggestions regarding other uses).

So, although I haven't done any research into which would be best (your A or B), I think the frustration level is lower and the sense of accomplishment is higher giving them some guidance. And yes, it is less time consuming and as you probably know, in an EFL setting, time *is* of the essence.

Well, since everyone seems to be putting in their 'two cents' lately, I thought I'd put in mine. Hope it's of some small interest.

Take care,
Linda