Corpora: BOOTSTRAPPING

Pete Whitelock pete.whitelock at sharp.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 15:05:20 UTC 2002

I would say bootstrapping (in the corpora context) means to use the output
of one version of a system as (part of) the input to the next version. The
iterative improvement is analogous to picking oneself up by one's
bootstraps.

So one might start with a parser that had no knowledge of attachment
preferences, attach only where unambiguous, count up the results and then
use the results in the next version of the parser to attach in ambiguous
cases.

Pete

> Forgive my lack of knowledge but could anybody explain the
> meaning of the
> term 'bootstrapping' please?.
> Best regards, Mª Dolores

Pete Whitelock              \ Principal Research Scientist
 E-mail: pete at sharp.co.uk    \ Sharp Laboratories of Europe Ltd
  phone: +44 (0)1865 747711   \ Oxford Science Park
   fax: +44 (0)1865 714170     \ Oxford, OX4 4GB, England