Corpora: Summary: automatic thesaurus generation

Mark Sanderson m.sanderson at shef.ac.uk
Sun Jan 27 20:20:05 UTC 2002

I must have missed your query regarding this topic, but you might wish to
look at a paper I wrote with Bruce Croft at SIGIR 1999 about concept
hierarchies, essentially automatic generation of hierarchical thesauri.

Also I did some work with a student of mine called Hideo Joho, who worked
on Marti Hearst's ideas, that work was published in ACM CIKM 2000 and a
poster in the HLT 2001 conference that is somewhat related.

Bruce Croft has a PhD student who is working on aspect of the concept
hierarchies, I think she had a paper at SIGIR 2001, her name is Dawn Lawrie.

At 10:55 27/01/02 +0100, Adam =?iso-8859-2?q?Przepi=F3rkowski?= wrote:
>This a brief summary of responses to my query regarding automatic
>thesaurus generation from large corpora.  I am very grateful to Bob
>Krovetz, Johan Hagman, Sara Rydin and Bill Mann for helpful
>suggestions.
>
>The following people worked or are working on automatic generation of
>meaningful hierarchical thesauri:
>
>Sharon Caraballo (esp. her recent Ph.D. dissertation available from
>   her home page);
>Marti Hearst (a 1992 paper available from Marti Hearst's home page);
>Gregory Grefenstette (I found it more difficult to locate relevant
>   papers);
>Johan Hagman (results will be presented at JADT
>   http://www.irisa.fr/manifestations/2002/JADT/programme.htm#programme);
>Sara Rydin (started work on this for her Ph.D. thesis).
>
>Virtually all of the work I located concentrates on automatic
>detection of hyponymy/hypernymy relations on the basis of textual
>clues such as "X, including x, y and z" (this normally implies that x,
>y and z are kinds of X).
>
>Bill Mann also mentions the the Oingo search engine which, it is
>claimed, actually takes advantage of such techniques.
>
>Best,
>--
>         Adam P.

Mark Sanderson, Room 303                   Tel : +44 (0) 114 22 22648
Department of Information Studies          Fax : +44 (0) 114 27 80300
University of Sheffield,                   mailto:m.sanderson at shef.ac.uk
Western Bank, Sheffield, S10 2TN, UK  http://dis.shef.ac.uk/mark/