[Corpora-List] corpora and culture

Geoffrey Sampson geoffs at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Tue Jul 2 13:05:18 UTC 2002

In the corpus linguistics anthology which Diana McCarthy and I are
compiling for Continuum, one of the items to be reprinted is Geoffrey
Leech and Roger Fallon's classic study of transatlantic cultural
differences as revealed by vocabulary in LOB and Brown.
	Geoffrey and Roger point out that the differences may be out
of date - the corpora are more than 40 years old, and Britain feels
far more American to me now than it did in the 1960s.  It occurs to
me to wonder whether anyone has used the Freiburg "FLOB and Frown"
Corpora to add time-depth to the study - if anything like that has
been done, our anthology ought to mention it?

Geoffrey Sampson  MA  PhD  MBCS
Professor of Natural Language Computing

University of Sussex
Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QH, England