Corpora: Noun phrases categories

Andrew Harley aharley at cambridge.org
Mon May 20 14:11:49 UTC 2002

At 11:32 20/05/2002 +0900, Francis Bond wrote:

> >From a computational point of view, I have been looking at
>countability from the point of view of Japanese-to-English MT, and
>suggest splitting countability into 5 types (with a couple of
>sub-types): Fully countable; Strongly Countable; Weakly Countable;
>Uncountable and Plural Only.
>
>As far as I know there isn't any labeled data generally available, but
>I would be happy to be proved wrong.

These are interesting categories. Our English dictionaries classify nouns
into countable, uncountable, singular and plural; and naturally only
include single words and common compounds and idioms, not longer or rarer
noun phrases. This data is available as part of our CIDE+ data resource;
see http://uk.cambridge.org/elt/reference/data.htm or contact me for some
more information.

Andrew Harley
Electronic Development Manager
English Language Teaching & Dictionaries
Cambridge University Press

Direct line: (01223)325880

http://uk.cambridge.org/elt/cdrom

Cambridge Dictionaries Online (50,000 searches each day):
http://dictionary.cambridge.org